Monday, September 7, 2015

Three Pigs, part 2

The second pig was named Deutero, for his mother had little imagination.  He walked along his own path and he too came across a farmer.  The farmer called out to him, “Little pig, I have a pile of tree debris that needs to go to the dump.  If you take it there for me, then I shall pay you well. “

Deutero thought about his mother who taught him that the best thing was to find a patron, work for him, show his worth and so have work and security forever.  He replied, “Dear sir, I see you are a farmer.” 

“So I am” 

“Might I conjecture that you have just cleared a field to ready for plowing.”

“That is true.” 

“Perhaps I could make a deal with you.  I am a hard worker.  I would like to plow, plant and harvest your field.  For my work, I will receive housing upon your land, board for the year and a stipend.  After my work, you will receive the harvest to do as you please.”

The farmer considered and replied, “I like your plan.  I, myself, would not be able to prepare this land for another year, so I would be happy to allow you have a go at it.  Do as you say, and for your housing, I offer you this pile of wood, and the land on which it stands.  Prepare the field, build your house and I will pay you fairly for the harvest you work for.”

Fortune smiled on Deutero. (Fortune is really a nice woman and doesn’t care for anyone to fall into evil.  But, like anyone, she has grumpy days.)  By day, he worked the field and every evening he cut down the wood and slowly built his house.  He lived for a time out in the open, under a wooden awning, but soon his house came together.  It was two stories, with extra rooms for a family, an outdoor shed and eventually marks of beauty that only a master woodworker can create.  A small world he called his own.

At the end of the year, he harvested and gave to the farmer all he had promised, for he was a pig of integrity.  The farmer also paid him fairly, as he promised, and he said that he would hire him the next season to do more work.  With half of his earnings, Deutero ran out and purchased the most secure locks and fencing he could purchase.  With the balance, he placed the coins under his wooden floor.  “Finally,” Deutero said to himself, “I have security and peace.  I am ready for a wife and children.”

The next day Wolf came.

But first, as it would happen, Prime came to visit his brother, Deutero.  He told him of his misfortune.  He spoke of his deal with the farmer, the loss of his money, his sickness and of his final misfortune.  “Since my house was destroyed by Wolf, I have been in hiding.  I sleep in the bushes, behind stones, hoping beyond hope that Wolf doesn’t find me and finish the devouring  he began.”

Deutero didn’t laugh, for he cared for his brother and mourned the misfortune.  After sympathizing with him, though, the second pig reprimanded him.  “You have been foolish.  Didn’t you know that mother told us to find a patron and to work faithfully for that one patron?  Only then will you reap the benefit of security and peace.”

“That isn’t what mother told us at all,” Prime said.  “Perhaps you were too young when you heard her speak.  She said that a pig should trust with integrity, and God will give us good fortune.”
Deutero replied, “I know that mother spoke nothing of gods or of evil, mystical wolves that devour our ill fortune.  It seems to me, brother, that this wolf of yours did you a favor.  You are well rid of your tainted straw.  I think you are better sleeping on the street than in a condemned house.

“Speaking of which, I fear you must go, my brother.  Tomorrow I rise early to seek a wife, and so I must sleep well to look proper for my true love.”

“But I hoped that perhaps I could get some sleep here… it has been so long since I slept a full night…”

“Perhaps another time, my brother, but not tonight.  Tonight I must sleep the sleep of five so I might seek my future tomorrow.”

So Prime left his brother and wandered outside to seek a rock to obtain some little shelter.

That very hour Wolf descended upon Deutero’s wood house and said, “I am the Wolf, little pig, and you will let me in.”

Deutero laughed and said, “I think not, dear wolf.  My future is secured.”

Wolf replied, “You have no future.  I am the vortex.  I am the fear no one escapes.  I am the power of the end.  You cannot avoid me.  Chaos and Death follow me in my wake.  Breathe in, little pig and know that my darkness descends.”

Deutero laughed again.  “You cannot reach me, Wolf.  I have the best security money can buy.”
Wolf raged and blew against the wood, and it began to crack. “WHAT CARE I FOR YOUR PETTY LOCKS AND FENCES?  I AM THE DEVOURER.  I ONLY CARE FOR YOU AS THE TINY MORSEL YOU ARE.  NOW I DESCEND.” And Wolf spun and enclosed himself upon the homestead.  

He pulled the fence up from the roots, deep in the ground, he cracked the foundation of the house, he splintered the wood around the locks, and devoured all the house, coins, pig and all.


Behind a rock, Prime stood in shocked woe as he saw all his brother had worked for… and all he had not worked for… destroyed in an instant.  Once Wolf was sated, he looked up and saw Prime and said, “SOMEHOW YOU SURVIVED MY MEAL. STAY, MORSEL, AND I SHALL SWALLOW YOU IN ONE GULP.”  But Prime had learned from his fear over the last year, and ran to hide from Wolf, successful again.  

Wolf, however, has no disappointments, for he knows that all things belong to him in time, so he continued his travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment